At Family Staffing Solutions…family is not just a word.
Great Gifts for the Seniors in Your Family
Buying gifts is always a challenge! Many years ago, “Dear Abby” suggested some thing to never give… “Let me tell you what not to send. Forget the cologne, aftershave and dusting powders unless you first check to see if they are welcome. Scents are highly distinctive and not every perfume works on every person. Do not give wine or liquor unless you are sure they imbibe. Candy, nuts confections and fruitcakes make beautiful gifts for folks who are counting calories, but have compassion for those who are and don’t lead them into temptation.”
Here are some of her suggestions for great gifts. “With the price of groceries going through the roof, many people would appreciate a gift basket of goodies. How about small cans of tuna and chicken? Also include crackers, assorted flavored instant coffees, herbal teas, soup mixes and cookies. Gift certificates are always welcome: for groceries, haircuts, manicures, dry cleaning, restaurant meals, theater tickets, videos and department stores. And don’t forget prepaid long-distance calling cards. Not all seniors drive, so bus passes and coupons for senior transportation or taxis are always welcome. Large print calendars with family birthdays, anniversaries, etc., marked and personalized with family photos make great gifts.”
Thanks Abby! Amazing that this was printed in 2002 and so appropriate in 2013. We will have more good ideas next time…like maid service for a day. Now that is a gift! Hope that sounds interesting to you! Happy December!
Your Parents’ and their “Home Sweet Home”
Experts agree that folks who remain in their home and age more slowly, are happier and enjoy a better quality of life. Working with your parents on a project of seasonal maintenance and safety checks can help insure that they can enjoy the comfort and security of staying in their own home throughout the years ahead. You can find “peace of mind” knowing that with help, they can maintain a safe environment inside and outside the residence. These checks are wonderful sources of information and ideas. They are a kit of tools for the home where your parents live and equally important for your own residence.
“For you, your parents are not “senior citizens” or “golden agers”. They are the elders, the experienced ones; they are mature, grown adults who have been responsible for the survival of our society. They are not wrinkled babies, succumbing to trivial, purposeless waste of our years and our time. They are your family.” Adapted Maggie Kuhn
Maintenance and Emergency Checklist of Things to Know and Do
- Where is the gas shut off valve:_______________________________________________
- The water shut off is_______________________________________________________
- Location of electrical breaker box or fuse box___________________________________
- Emergency house keys are hidden in the_______________________________________
- Their neighbor_____________________________ also has a set of key
- First aid kits, including batteries, are in________________________________________
Note: if your home is a two-story, it is smart to have a fire extinguisher on both levels
- Are there smoke and carbon monoxide alarms?__________________________________
- Emergency phone numbers are up to day and kept_______________________________
- If there is a fire, we have an escape plan ______________yes _______________no
- There are flashlights, batteries and some supplies in the _________________ should there be a power outage
- Check expiration dates of medicines. Discard and replace as necessary
- Check expiration dates of packaged good, canned goods and items in the refrigerator and freezer. Discard if necessary and replace as appropriate.
Security and safety outside your home is important for your peace of mind and convenience. Consider these:
- Shrubs and hedges near windows should be trimmed for clear view of the outside.
- Consider security doors for added safety.
- Have gutters cleaned out for winter and repaired if required.
- Make sure all the water is drained from garden hoses and that they are stored properly.
- Fireplaces and chimneys should be inspected professionally.
- Check all small rugs and see if they can be removed. They could be a safety risk.
- Be sure that all sleeping areas are free of unnecessary clutter and that a safe path to the bathroom is accessible
- Be sure to have a working phone in the sleeping areas. A phone in the bathroom is a remarkable convenience for an emergency. You can have that installed.
- Levers may be a great replacement for knobs and pulls.
- Check all windows and screens for repair and make sure window locks are in good working order.
- Check all doors, including screen doors for proper locking mechanisms.
Because of the number of items in the checklist, this is two part article. Look for Part 2 to be posted in the next few weeks. If you would like a complete copy of this checklist now, just call our office at 615-848-2810. We will be most happy to send it you complimentary. Have a wonderful day!
Stay Independent ♥ At Home ♥ In Charge®
At Family Staffing Solutions we make it possible for people to age, secure in the knowledge that they may never spend a single night in a nursing home. From simple phone visits to scheduled in-home senior care, Family Staffing Solutions is the best choice for seniors and families in need of a helping hand that cares. Personal referrals to our company are, of course, based on having an excellent reputation for providing quality care in a respectful caring way. We are very proud of our reputation and our good name. Family Staffing Solutions is committed to taking care of your family members as if they were ours. We staff our caregivers and our offices with you in mind. You are invited to learn more about each of the offices by clicking on their Spotlight page.
Our Mission Statement:
To be recognized as the industry leader for integrity and excellence in Personal Assistance Care achieved with a positive, joyful approach that improves the lives of our Clients, Employees and Franchisees.